Saturday 22 December 2012

Kgalagadi Magic

Such a busy time of the year! The Mayan calender ending yesterday, and the world never ending as some predicted, has prompted me to journal two events in November/December 2012 that were amazing to me!

A painting that virtually painted itself from the very beauty of the early morning sunrise (6.30am) at a hide in Nossob, Kgalagadi (September 2012). This is a game reserve in the Kalahari Desert in northern South Africa. Freezing cold, bundled up in anorak and gloves, watching the doves huddled on an old log at a waterhole was mindblowingly beautiful! As they flew off, startled by something, their wings  glowed in the sunbeams streaming through them! An unforgetible experience, captured on film and then in paint!

How delighted was I when this painting 'Huddle of Doves' won the SASA annual Eleanor Palmer Trophy of the year, voted by its members at our final meeting of the year ! This is the 3rd time I have won this prestigious trophy - 2004, 2009, and now 2012.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Lyn,
    Love your work. Wow!
    I will have to try and have some lessons with you next summer. If not meet up for some plein air drawing and painting. It was a happy meeting at Boulders and again Fish Hoek. I am busy editing my book for my friend, saw your name where I had scribbled it and decided to look you up. Is there somewhere that I can see your work on a larger scale?
    All the best.
    Fran Webster (now in the UK)

    ReplyDelete